Monday 5 December 2011

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

*5stars*

Oh. Wow.
I just finished with the first book in The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. And even though I was listening to an audiobook I have to say the experience was breathtaking. It took me just two days to finish.

I picked up the book somewhat reluctantly. Bestsellers often tend to be too overrated and end up disappointing me. The beginning was nice, but nothing extraordinary. A rebellious girl trying to maintain and support her family after her fathers death. With her best friend she hunts in the forbidden woods etc.
And then, boom! The Reaping Day and on the the Capital and the Hunger Games. The readers are swiftly swept into a totally mesmerising and twisted world of the rich and poor. What is the right thing to do? The game over life and death in portrayed on the border of game and reality, keeping the readers totally captivated.

One of the issues I had while reading was the character of Katniss. She turned out to be quite an egoistic one, instead of the nobody-cares-about-me-and-doesn’t-even-know-I-exist type introduced to us in the beginning. The constant reminder of how everybody is watching her and “I’m definitely on the screen” kind of attitude tired me pretty soon.
Also, I would have loved to see more of Gale and Cinna - two of my instant favorite characters. Peeta was very sweet, but that’s kinda all there was. I see, why the overall romance was importad, yet still, I would have done better with less of it.

Still, the whole book was breathtaking. In some point I discovered myself gasping for air in the bus, while listening to the audiobook, sadly it doesn't happen often. Definitely recommend it to anyone up to a good action

Now, can't wait to get on the book two - Catching Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment