Sunday 14 October 2012

Matched - Ally Condie (Matched #1)

*5 stars*

Finally! I've been waiting for such a long time to read it, I don't even know, what kept me so long.

For a starter, the only other Dystopian book I've ever read, was the Hunger Games, and let's just say they're vastly different. This world is designed to only undergo actions with maximized benefits for the society and through this, to individuals. For example, the amount of food you need to consume, in order to stay in your best possible physical state, is calculated and strictly observed. So is the amount of physical exercise and leisure time. You can't even go jogging if you want and your own time was non-existent.

The most fitting job for every individual is calculated and decided for them as is the person, you are to marry. All of it of course to assure an individuals maximal amount of happiness. Sounds blissful, doesn't it?
Yeah, right. Don't wear anything pretty in case your neighbors should feel jealous. I mean a world, were you can't even throw away your garbage in peace, everything will be recorded and all anomalies noted, sounds a bit paranoid. All the symbolism they had to use in order to not be discovered was a nice touch. It made them think outside the box and truly see things like they were.The way Kys story was revealed, piece by piece and through drawings was really sad.


We witness Cassia slowly realizing, that the society she grew up in, everything she knew, was a lie and finding this strength in yourself to break out of it is admirable. I love the cover design. Symbolizes perfectly her situation. Trapped in a ball of class with no way out. As I heard from one of the interviews, the colors of the covers are supposed to portray the tablets. And already getting ahead of myself, and peeking at the sequels I just have to squeal, awesome!

The ending was really touching and heartwarming. I think parents that supportive and understanding are hard to find. It also made me curious for the rest of the story. Cassias understanding, that the signs of cracking and glitches in the otherways perfectly oiled society were a marking, that something bigger than them was going on. I liked the world AC created and I definitely want to return here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment