Sunday 7 October 2012

Little update + Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout (Covenant #1)

Hey guys!
I just wanted to let you know that  I'm sorry for the slow updates! I recently moved into my new university and all that packing and tons of paperwork has taken its toll. I miss reading so much :( But on the bright side, there's and awesome bookshop here, where I had my first book haul! I got Marked, #1 in the House of Night Series by Kristin Cast and The Nosferatu Scrolls by James Becker both for £1!! I already love it here.

*3.5 stars*

Yay! Another book by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Let s just say I m preeeety excited! - the first thought upon receiving the book.
---

Let's just say that only about half-way through the book did I get into the action. I felt like the plot was loose and everything felt a bit all over the place. One of the biggest distractions was that I did not like Alex. Instead of being quirky and funny, she came off as pointlessly reckless and just plain rude and ungrateful. I can see how she didn't know how to appreciate all that she has at first, but continuing on being as stupid knowing all the consequences... There wasn't much of a character improvement or development. She really stayed one-dimensional and childish.

On the other hand, I really liked both Caleb and Aiden. Caleb was one of those self denying friends, ready to do anything to make you feel happy if you're sad. The lasts scene was really really heartwarming. And Aiden? I admire his endless patience and willingness to babysit such an selfish troublemaker. I did like the relationship between Aiden and Alex, once again deliciously forbidden. The attraction was there and I could really feel it.

Both, the huge discovery and the character of Seth left me rather nonplussed. I can see how in the future it could be a great line for additional characters and relationships, yet still. Currently it all felt a little discarded.


After the endless stupidity fair, it finally seemed that Alex was really getting what was being said to her and that turned out to be the salvation for the book. Finally we're getting somewhere.  I really liked Marcus. I look forward to their further interactions. And the bittersweet agreement with Aidan was also strangely touching. The almost cliffhangers gave us a taste of what we might get in the next installment. The synopsis for Pure sounds and bit cliche, but the reviews indicate otherwise, so I'll just try not to get my hopes too high again.

No comments:

Post a Comment